...progress is the law of God, whose law demands of us only what we can certainly fulfill.
Prior to 1916, Christian Scientists in Laguna Beach gathered in private homes to read the Bible Lesson together.
They then began meeting in the lobby of the Arch Beach Tavern where attendance averaged around ten. As interest grew, meetings were held in three different, larger locations on Forest Avenue.
In 1923 the church services and Sunday School moved to the movie theatre on South Pacific Coast Highway, and from there to yet another location at the corner of Forest and Glenneyre Streets where the Reading Room operated for a few hours each week.
In 1925 the group became a Society under the Manual of The Mother Church, with a card first appearing in The Christian Science Journal in June of that year.
Articles of Incorporation were approved by the State of California on December 19, 1927.
Services were held in what was then the Women’s Club House (pictured here) where the City Hall now stands.
In January of 1928, a building lot on Glenneyre Street was acquired, which was exchanged for a more desirable location at the corner of Glenneyre and Legion Streets in 1930.
By then the Society had grown into First Church of Christ, Scientist, Laguna Beach, a recognized branch of The Mother Church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts.
The Building Fund grew and plans went forward for the erection of a church edifice at the Glenneyre and Legion location. The first church service in the new building was held in May of 1937, and the church was formally dedicated on November 5, 1944.
The Reading Room was located in the church edifice until December 1947, when it moved to its current location at 284 Forest Avenue, Laguna Beach.
As interest in Christian Science spread and attendance increased, larger quarters became necessary for both the Sunday School and church services.
In April of 1950, the site on the corner of High Drive, Rose Place, and Hawthorne Road was purchased and in May of the following year, work began on the new edifice on a “pay-as-you-go” basis.
This method of financing continued until the fall of 1953 when, having sold the Glenneyre Street property and being obliged to move from temporary quarters in the Laguna Theater, on Ocean Avenue, a small loan was negotiated in order to finish the edifice.
Our first church service in this building was held in May of 1954, and the church was officially dedicated on May 20, 1956.
In the years following, members purchased the properties across the street for use as parking lots, and in 1961 work was completed on the installation of our Moller Pipe Organ.
The distinctive wooden beam, wood paneling, and chandeliers in our main auditorium were added in the early 1970s.
In July of 1966, the Reading Room property on Forest Avenue was purchased. The old building was removed and a new Reading Room built in its place, which opened to the public on December 1, 1968.
As loyal Christian Scientists, working together for the true concept of Church, let us continue to demonstrate, step-by-step, Mary Baker Eddy’s statement in Science and Health, p. 233:6 “...progress is the law of God, whose law demands of us only what we can certainly fulfill.”